Gardening with kids *can* be a totally fun and rewarding experience. It can also be a bit of a headache without the right prep. Here’s exactly how to make gardening with kids realistic and worthwhile!
Key Prep For Gardening with Kids
- Find safe soil to dig in.
- Choose the right clothing. We like the Muddy Buddy, rubber gum boots, or crocs/native washable shoes.
- Get kid-sized gardening tools.
Kids Garden Activities
There is so much to do with children in the garden! Here are a few ideas:
- Plant seeds (peas are easy)
- Plant some herbs (plants are easy to find at the grocery store) – here’s how to plant a herb container garden
- Plant some strawberry plants (order the dormant plants online)
- Pull weeds (and some plants that look like weeds….?)
- Find garden critters like earthworms and snails
- Make dirt roads and rivers with the garden hose
- Mix up fallen leaves and coffee grounds to make compost
- Collect rocks, leaves, and other garden treasures
Best Gear for Gardening with Kids
These items can make your life easier when gardening with kids!
- Raised garden beds at kid level
- Kid-sized watering can, trowel, and rake
- Numerous small buckets
- Garden hose nozzle with automatic off option
- Kiddie pool