6296 Donnelly Plaza
Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links, meaning we may earn a small commission if readers purchase products through these links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
Looking for a super simple craft you can do with the supplies you have at home? Try this coffee filter butterfly craft! This classic craft requires only two coffee filters, washable markers, a pipecleaner, and some water to make.
This fun craft idea creates the most adorable rainbow butterflies, and it only takes a few minutes. Here’s the tutorial for this simple craft!
You can use any coffee filters that you have on hand for this cute craft. Just make sure you use two for each butterfly! For older kids, you could do this same craft with watercolor paints, but it will get a bit messier.
Here are the supplies for the coffee filter butterflies craft:
Don’t forget the tray! Since the markers will bleed through the coffee filters, you’ll wait to carefully protect the area.
This is such a simple craft but the results are simply adorable! Follow the instructions below for my very basic butterfly design. You could also use whatever household supplies you have around to embellish your butterflies – Pony beads, chenille stem, clothespins, etc.
Also, if you prefer to learn this step-by-step with photos, click here to jump to the bottom of the post!
That’s all you need to do to create these gorgeous butterflies! It’s a lot of fun making them, but your kids will also love watching them as they “fly” (really, we just toss them up and pretend they’re flying).
Also, you could emphasize that butterfly wings are symmetrical. But, it’s likely that the colors will blend differently to create tie-dyed coffee filters, so you could give it a try but they won’t be perfect! That’s the beauty in a craft – It doesn’t need to be totally realistic.
I can just imagine how cute it would be to create dozens of these beautiful coffee filter butterflies and hang them as decor for a kid’s party! Or, just as a kids craft it’s great to fill some time.
1. Gather your supplies. You will need 2 coffee filters, water, a dropper or spray bottle, markers, and a pipe cleaner.
2. Stack your coffee filters directly on top of each other.
3. Draw random designs on the top filter. The designs will bleed through – That’s exactly what you want to happen!
4. Using an eye dropper or a water bottle, spritz water all over your design. Use enough so both filters are saturated with color and all the colors spread
5. Let the filters dry completely. I put mine outside – It only took about 10 minutes until they were completely dry
6. Fan fold the colored coffee filters one at a time, folding all of the filter.
7. Stack the coffee filters on top of each other to create butterfly wings.
8. Wrap a pipe cleaner around the center of your filter butterfly, then twist it to secure
9. Create the antennae by either twisting the end (as shown here) or by adding a little bead.