This kids pom pom ornament is a bright, cheery holiday craft for preschoolers! It’s simply an old ornament from the thrift shop covered in glued-on pom poms. Easy peasy… And fun!
It’s also one of the 14 adorable Christmas crafts for kids that we’ve made lately!
As with any kids craft, be sure to read the instructions on the supply packets and follow them. Full adult supervision is also a must!
Supplies: Kids pom pom ornament craft
December is a great time for crafting. Making ornaments for the tree is a fun way to add a personal touch to your festive decorations (and keep the little ones busy!). To keep our cost low we chose thrifted ornaments, but you could buy a pack of ornaments in bulk at the dollar tree or any similar store.
Here are the supplies you will need for this kids pom pom ornament craft:
- Old round plastic ornament (small is not a bad thing!)
- if you have styrofoam balls on hand you could definitely use those too!
- Pom poms
- Non-toxic glue
Gather all the supplies together before starting. A surface protector of some kind is also very helpful if you’d like to protect the work table.
How to make kids pom pom ornaments
This project is so, so easy. Not only do I love it because it’s super simple, but little hands can practice fine motor skills as they dip the pom poms in glue and attach them to the ball.
Here are the steps for making pom pom ornaments with kids:
- Pick out an ornament and pom poms. The pom poms will cover most of the ornament so the colours don’t have to be too matchy-matchy.
- Glue pom poms on the ornament. Some kids do best by dipping each pom pom in a puddle of glue and then sticking it on the ornament. Other kids prefer to have the glue applied directly to the ornament and then stick the pom poms on the glue-covered surface. Preschoolers will need more help with this process than older kids.
- Let dry.
- If your ornament didn’t have something to hang it with, you will need to attach ribbon or an ornament hanger.
- Hang up on the Christmas tree!
Pretty easy! These cute hanging pom pom ornaments are quick but fun to make… And they sure are cool to look at too, which makes them the perfect Christmas craft!
If you have little ones that aren’t ready to use glue, they could still make their own pom pom ornaments! Simply give them clear ornaments and let them fill the balls with pom poms. This way they’ll feel included in the craft and have something to hang on the tree.
I’d try to stay away from glass ornaments if possible, but you could let your kiddos decorate any shape or size of ornaments for this craft! Let them search for a base next time you’re at the thrift store, and they can create their own “new” hanging ornament from what they find.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Also – We’ve been crafting up a storm this month! Here are some other crafts we’ve made: