These preschool Christmas tree ornaments are super cute! Here’s a fun holiday craft to make with older toddlers or kindergarten kids.
These preschool Christmas tree ornaments are easy to make and can be adapted for older children. Younger children will need more help, but older children may be able to use the glue on their own.
Buttons can be a choking hazard, and many school glues aren’t to be used by children under 3 years old. Check the instructions on your supplies before starting this project and follow them! Ensure kids are fully supervised for the duration of the craft.
Supplies for Preschool Christmas Tree Ornaments
Here are the supplies for these preschool Christmas tree ornaments made from green felt and old buttons:
- Green craft felt sheets
- Non-toxic glue
Gather all your supplies together before starting this craft. Be sure to read and follow all instructions for the materials you’ve chosen.
How to Make Felt & Button Christmas Tree Ornaments
Here are the steps for making these felt and button Christmas tree ornaments with preschoolers:
- Draw the outline of a Christmas tree on a sheet of felt. Our trees were about 4″ (10 cm) tall. This is big enough to fit lots of buttons, but small enough that the felt can support the weight of the buttons.
- Have an adult cut out the shape of the Christmas tree in the green felt. This step can be done before starting the craft with the kids to save a bit of time and keep the scissors out of the area.
- Place dabs of glue on the felt where the buttons will go. Older children may be able to apply glue themselves while younger preschoolers will need an adult to do this step.
- Place buttons on the glue to decorate the felt Christmas tree.
- Let the glue dry
- Attach a loop of ribbon onto the Christmas tree ornament. Either have an adult poke a small hole in the fabric to tie the ribbon through or use more glue to affix a loop of ribbon onto the back of the top of the tree.
There we go! Now you have lovely green felt Christmas tree ornaments to make with your preschoolers.