These Piñata Christmas Tree Ornaments are a great craft for a toddler or preschooler up to early grade school. Keep reading to see how we made them!
These are also one of the 14 adorable Christmas crafts for kids that we’ve made lately, in case you’d like to check those out too.
This craft involves making a basic triangular form for the pinata, filling it with candy (optional), and then decorating with crepe paper streamers and pom poms. Here’s what you’ll need for this kids ornament craft:
Supplies for Piñata Christmas tree ornaments
December is a great time for crafting. Making ornaments for the tree is a fun way to add a personal touch to your festive decorations (and keep the little ones busy!).
Here are the supplies you’ll need to gather for the Piñata Christmas Tree Ornaments:
- Empty Cardboard Box
- Green Crepe Paper Streamers
- Pom Poms
Gather all your supplies together before starting this craft project!
How to make Piñata Christmas tree ornaments
Here is how to make Piñata Christmas Tree Ornaments.
- Draw out basic tree triangles on the cardboard. The sides of the triangle will need an extra 1/2 inch or centimetre to make a tab for the sides.
- Cut out the triangles, being sure to cut outside the tabs (don’t cut off the perimeter tabs).
- Fold the tabs over to create the sides.
- Tape the pieces of cardboard together to make the empty pinata form. Imagine you’re making a triangular Smartie box.
- Cut a few strips of green crepe paper of the streamer roll.
- Cut little slots into the side of the crepe paper to create a fringe.
- Tape or glue the crepe paper onto the cardboard form, starting at the bottom of the tree triangle.
- Decorate the tree ornament with pom poms.
- Add a ribbon loop to hang the ornament on the tree!
That’s how to make a Piñata Christmas Tree Ornament! Here are photos to help you follow along with the steps:
Hang up your new Piñata Christmas tree ornaments!
Here is a Piñata Christmas tree ornament up on the holiday tree:
Also – We’ve been crafting up a storm this month! Here are some other crafts we’ve made: